Green Star services
SEM has been involved as technical consultants and as technical working group experts for the development of several GBCSA Green Star Tools. Our in-depth understanding of building services and the intent of the Green Star tools, puts us in an excellent position to offer certain services to assist you in achieving Green Star credits.
SEM offers services pertaining to the following credits:
Man-4 Independent Commissioning Agent
(Office Tool, Retail Centre Tool, Public and Education Building Tool)
Our experts will guide you in meeting the criteria for a Green Star Man-4 rating by:
- Verifying and formulating the design intent
- Providing impartial advice prior to, and during, the construction phase
- Developing and directing the commissioning process
- Optimising performance for safety, energy efficiency, reliability and comfort
- Target setting
- Identifying and implementing appropriate efficiency measures
- Co-ordinating activities between client, designers and contractors throughout the commissioning, testing and adjustment phases
- Ensuring correct functioning of all systems and equipment
- Ensuring that all systems and equipment are fully integrated
- Monitoring and confirming the commissioning of all systems
Independent commissioning management ensures that buildings are properly constructed and operate in the safest and most efficient ways possible. As buildings may rely on hundreds of sensitive control systems and engineering services, energy and water efficiency is not incidental.
ENE-1 Energy Consumption (GHGE) (Existing Building Performance Tool)
- Conduct energy audits to analyse energy usage and identify energy saving opportunities to further reduce your energy consumption for the following systems:
- Air distribution and ventilation systems
- Cooling systems
- Heating systems
- Building HVAC controls
- Domestic hot water system
- Lighting systems and controls
- Electrical distribution system
- Building envelope system
- Establishing energy consumption base lines.
- Compile the GBCSA Benchmarking Tool and ENE-01 Energy Consumption (GHGE) Points Calculator as required for applicable existing buildings.
IEQ-3 Thermal Comfort surveys (Existing Building Performance Tool)
- Conducting on-site measurements of temperature, humidity and air speed and compiling thermal environment surveys.
IEQ-4 Occupant Comfort Survey (Existing Building Performance Tool)
- Compiling and collating the results of occupant comfort surveys.
IEQ-7 Indoor Pollutant Management (Existing Building Performance Tool)
- Conducting on-site measurements of carbon monoxide (CO) and carbon dioxide (CO2) concentrations.
WAT-1 Potable Water (Existing Building Performance Tool)
- Conduct water audits to analyse water usage and identify water saving opportunities to further reduce your water consumption for the following systems:
- Water consuming fixtures and fittings
- Irrigation system
- Heat rejection systems (cooling towers)
- Domestic hot water systems
- Water re-use systems
- Water storage systems
- Process water systems
- Fire protection systems (sprinklers and monthly test water)
- Potable water features
- Swimming pools
- Other large consumers, such as laundry facilities, car wash facilities, large kitchens, etc.
- Establishing water consumption base lines.
- Compile the GBCSA Benchmarking Tool and WAT-01 Potable Water Calculator as required for applicable existing buildings.
EMI-2 Legionella (Existing Building Performance Tool)
- Compile Risk Management Plans in accordance with SANS 893:2013.
Contact SEM today to enquire about our Green Star services, or to request the services of an accredited Independent Commissioning Agent.